May 8, 2008

New uses for a dead hard drive....

R.I.P.


My laptop hard drive recently died. At first I was quite upset I must tell you. And, yes, we did have a small ceremony. Afterwards, I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. Could it be recycled some way? Could I just throw it in the trash? Was there something in it that would harm the earth? Would my carbon footprint be really huge if it was dumped in a land fill. Needing guidance, I knew just who to turn to in this situation........my older (much, much older) brother, Jim. He is after all a computer genius. He can build one out of some nuts, bolts and a twisty tie. I think he could take on MacGyver and win! Anyway, I sent him an email seeking his wisdom on how best to dispose of my dearly departed. He shot back a quick and thoughtful reply.....which I just have to share.



"Well, there are actually several things you can do with it."

1. Throw it in the trash.

2. Have the boys paint it, then use it as a paper weight.

3. Put it under a table leg to stop it from wobbling.

4. Give it to the boys to take apart and see what's inside.

5. Glue on googly eyes and pipe cleaner legs to make a computer bug.

6. Use it as a door jam.

7. Use as it as a "hi-tec" coaster next to your computer.

8. Plant in the back yard and see if an "Apple" will grow.

9. Put in your van and throw it at next person that cuts you off.

10. Throw it in a lake "just to feel better."



So, you see, there's so much you can do with a dead hard drive! Who knew? (except him of course) I'm so excited. I just don't know which to pick. I'm thinking I like #7 and after I tire of using it as such, I'll do #4. I liked #8 as well but I can't stand those kind of "Apples!" What would you do? And, thanks Big Bro for the useful tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee! I love it when you leave me comments. Thanks a bunch. :)