September 11, 2005

Remembering 9/11/01


As hubby and I sat this evening and watched "The Flight That Fought Back" on the Discovery channel, we were both touched. We reflected on that fateful day four years ago. We weren't together when the tragic events took place. He had left early that morning for a job interview in Pittsburgh, PA. I had awoke early as well to get me and both boys ready for WISH, a women's bible study I attended. We had just been dismissed from our worship time to go to our chosen classes. Our class finished our introductions and began to pray when someone gently knocked on the door and asked us to come back out. It was about 9:30 at this time. We had no idea the horrible news we were about to hear. We were told that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I think at that point most of us thought it was a freak accident. We immediately began to pray for all those aboard and their families. Soon after we were informed of the second plane. We all knew then something was terribly wrong. I wanted nothing more than to hold my boys tight and to know that hubby was okay at that point. We immediately left and went straight home. The boys were only four and two at that time. What did I tell them? How could I explain how upset I was? I just remained quiet during the ten minute ride home, reflecting. I had no way of getting in touch with hubby. He wasn't flying that day and was no where near an airport, but that didn't matter that day. I just wanted to hear his voice. As I sat in front of the tv watching the events unfold, I was numb. This was the U.S., how could this happen? I had never felt threatened in my own country before.

When the fourth and final plane, flight 93, went down in Shanksville, PA, I was especially touched. After all, we lived in Morgantown, WV at that time. That was only 85 miles from Shanksville. I first thanked God that my family and I had been spared and then immediately lifted up those 40 people on board. I'm going to list a link that was on the movie this evening. So much has been said about the planes that hit the Trade Centers and The Pentagon. This flight was important as well. After all, they saved countless lives with their actions.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:10 PM

    Shane,

    I remember that day as plain as plain can be.
    We were getting ready to go to the National Quartet Convention and hopfully get some much needed rest from the emotional time that we had very much needed since we were devastated in the flood.
    Thanks to family and friends we had a wall of prayer surrounding us.
    You don't realize who your friends are until you have faced devastating situations.
    Eric

    ReplyDelete

Yippee! I love it when you leave me comments. Thanks a bunch. :)