August 25, 2006

"Big Fancy House"


This little story comes to you courtesy of Tater Tot, our five year old....



While driving home from school yesterday we passed a really small, run down house. He inquisitively asked, "mommy, how come those people want to live in that tiny house instead of a big fancy house like ours?" I then explained to him that some people don't have a choice. They don't have much money and can't live in a house like ours. A small house is all they can afford I went on to tell him. He was silent for a few seconds and then said, "Awwww, is that why Nana and Papa live in a little house? They don't have any money?"

Now, let me explain. Nana and Papa are my in-laws. They retired the first of the year and down-sized because they wanted to. They live in a nice brick ranch with three bedrooms. It's the perfect size for the two of them. On the other hand we live in a two story with about 2,500 square feet. When the four of us go up to visit with Nana and Papa it is a bit cramped so I guess that's why he thinks their house is too small. Isn't it funny how the mind of a five year old works? I was sure to call Nana last night and tell her that her grandson thinks they're poor. She got a kick out of it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yippee! I love it when you leave me comments. Thanks a bunch. :)