February 23, 2007

Multicultural Day at the boys' school

Konichiwa! I had the privileged of spending the entire day at the boys' school today. I walked in with them this morning and didn't leave until they did this afternoon. Boy, it's been a while since I've done that! The reason for my "day of school" was to volunteer for multicultural day. I spent the first half of the day in Tater Tot's kindergarten class. All five of the kindergarten classes spent the morning rotating between classrooms. They learned about a different aspect of Japan in each room. Our role was to provide each class with a taste of Japan... sticky rice. (I, and five other moms, prepared the rice and brought it to school with us.) The children were even provided with chop sticks! In the other classrooms they made a Japanese flag, got to try on a real kimono and other activities.


    Tater Tot (far left) and friends


    After lunch, I said "sainara" to Japan and headed to the third grade. Once there, it was my job to travel with the students from classroom to classroom. They were learning about Germany. Thanks to other volunteer moms, we got to taste German food. I must admit, very few of the children liked any of it though. After that it was off to another class to learn to polka and waltz. It was so cute watching 8 and 9 year old girls and boys paired up together, dancing. Of course they all protested and were afraid of getting "cooties" from the opposite sex.

    Bubby learning to Polka with a friend


    I really enjoyed the day and learned many things about each country that I did not know before. During supper tonight I also quizzed the boys to see if they were paying attention...they both did really well. I'm looking forward to learning about different countries next year. So, until then, auf wiedersehen. (Now I finally know what Heidi Klum says as she bids each designer farewell on Project Runway!)

    Me & Bubby


    An amazingly beautiful floral rug created out of real flowers!

    2 comments:

    1. How cute and fun does that look!! When my girls were younger we did a lot of fun things like that. Now that I think about it - it would probably make high school a lot more fun if we studied like that too. LOL.

      Have a great weekend.

      ReplyDelete
    2. THat looks like a super fun day what a great program for the school to do.

      ReplyDelete

    Yippee! I love it when you leave me comments. Thanks a bunch. :)