July 18, 2008

All Washed Up

Isn't it odd how we never appreciate what we have until it's gone? Some things we just use day in and day out and never think twice about. It's as though they've always been there and always will. Think again! My fancy washing machine, which is less than one year old, started acting up about a week ago. I called Mr. Repair Man and he came out to take a look this past Monday. It took him all of about 3 1/2 minutes to say, "Yep, it's broken. The darn things are so smart now that I'm going to have to order a special part before I can fix it." Isn't that the absolute last words you want to hear a repairman utter? Part? Order? Please, tell me it isn't so.

I have been patiently waiting...and waiting...and waiting. I finally got a call today. "The part for your washer is in." Yipee!!!! "But we can't install it until next Wednesday." What? Are you kidding me? I have two active, clothes dirtying boys... next Wednesday? "Yes ma'am, that's the first available opening." Oh, for Pete's sake I think. We have three hampers and they are all massively overflowing already. I can't possible wait five more days.

So, what did I do? I evenly distributed the dirty clothes into the three hampers and sat them by the door. As soon as hubby arrived home from work I enlightened him of the days events. He looked puzzled. I explained that he and the boys were going to get to accompany me to the.... to the... here goes.... laundromat. The boys actually looked at me and simultaneously said, "What's a laundromat?" Amazing isn't it?

So, one hour and $20 later all nine loads of laundry are done! The boys had a blast. They loved putting the quarters in the machines, getting the clothes out and putting them in the little rolling buggy to take them to the dryers, playing with the detergent dispenser..... I told Darrin that from now on when they're bored I'm just going to load up and take them to the laundromat!

I actually didn't mind having all of the laundry washed, dried and folded in just over an hour. It's the $20 that kind of sucked. Since when did one load of wash cost $1.75? The last time I used a coin operated machine it was only $1.00 per load. Of course, that was in 1991 when we first got married, but still.... $1.75?? That's crazy.

Anyway, I'm now anxiously awaiting the arrival of Mr. Repairman on Wednesday. I'm thankful that this repair will cost absolutely nothing thanks to the handy dandy warranty. However, I can't wait to have my washer back. And I promise to never, ever take it for granted again.

3 comments:

  1. I'll bet it's a GE machine huh?

    I waited almost a month to have our microwave fixed by them.

    Remember Suds and Duds in Morgantown! I miss that place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing the novel things that kids can enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids would probably love that too. They think it is such a treat to go through a drive thru car wash..lol

    ReplyDelete

Yippee! I love it when you leave me comments. Thanks a bunch. :)